Ok, I understand
Cookie Notice: This site uses cookies. For more information, please see our privacy policy.

Grinshill Parish Council

About Us

Grinshill is a village 7 miles from Shrewsbury, and 4 from Wem. It lies off the A49 under the shelter of Grinshill Hill. The Hill is one of several isolated escarpments which rise above the North Shropshire Plain, and is formed of Triassic sandstones and marls, originally laid down some 200million years ago .

The area has been quarried extensively, principally for the pale Grinshill Sandstones, which was used for Lord Hill’s Column (1814-1816), Haughmond Abbey, Shrewsbury railway station, the Welsh Bridge and many local buildings and bridges in the Shrewsbury area.The stone is valued for its colour, durability, strength and consistency.

There is a variety of building materials seen in the parish. Stone constructions of note include Stone Grange, (built as a refuge from plague for the pupils and masters, the land having been bought by Shrewsbury School in 1616 with construction a few years later) and The Manor House dating from early and mid C17 with later alterations. While blocks of red sandstone created what were farm buildings in the centre of the village but have since been converted to homes. Properties on “the back of the Hill” are all of local stone.

The village is surrounded by agricultural land, backed to the north.There is flat land to the south east and west.The buildings within the Parish are generally of modest proportion and set within hedged and walled gardens of compatible size and proportion.The village sits comfortably within the landscape dominated by the Hill, woodlands and fields.

There are two post boxes and a phone box in the parish plus three parish notice boards.To mark the millennium two engraved Millennium Rocks in Grinshill Stone were placed at the entrances to the village. Three iron seats were erected in the village to Commemorate HM King George V Jubilee in 1935 and HM Queen Elizabeth’s Coronation in 1953.There is a mixture of road, car park, and restricted byway and footpath signs in the parish.

A total of 108 households and a population of 243 people are within the village and the population is diverse in both age and employment giving the village a mixed community. A number of facilities and clubs are available within the Parish boundary like the village hall, and Acton Reynald Cricket Club. There is also a first class village pub, The Inn at Grinshill, which provides a high standard of accommodation, food and beverages, and is attune to the requirements of walkers, and dogs are also welcome. Several self catering holiday homes are situated both in the village and in the Parish.  

The village benefits from a number of assets within the Parish boundary which also attracts visitors. Major attractions include Grinshill Hill itself, which is 630ft above sea level and is a very popular spot for those looking for a gentle uphill walk on a sunny afternoon with rewarding views if you make it to the top. Corbet Wood and the surrounding countryside has many footpaths through the wood and up to the hill, attracting a large array of walkers and family groups. Other attractions that draw visitors to the village, include All Saints Church, Corbet Wood picnic area,and the quarry.

All Saints Church at Grinshill was originally one of the chapels of Shawbury (Acton Reynald, Moreton Corbet, and Great Wytheford were the others), and passed with the mother church to the Canons of Haughmond. Bishop Roger de Clinton (1130-1148) mentions that he had himself consecrated the chapels and cemeteries at three of the four chapelries, but not at Grinshill, thus dating the Church there as before 1130.

The Village Hall opened originally as the village school, but as the United School at Clive became established the Grinshill School was relegated to become the Sunday school. It is now used as the Grinshill Village Hall and has served Grinshill well as a social and meeting place, with a grant secured in 2000 being put to use in refurbishing the facility for future generations. Today the Village Hall provides a very well appointed resource for all of the residents, for private hire, community meetings, or a range of social, educational or well-being scheduled events.

The Parish Council in their role look to ensure that all planning consents within the Parish boundary are both appropriate and in keeping with the spirit and character of the village. With the exception of a few single dwelling additions there has been little significant development within the village in the last 20 years.